- 6 cups tightly packed, chopped collard greens (or other available greens), fresh, washed and drained; or frozen, thawed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped stewed tomatoes
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
Steamer or medium-size saucepan with a cover, fitted with metal colander or strainer; mixing spoon; large-size skillet
1. Fill bottom of steamer or saucepan with about an inch of water. Insert basket, colander, or strainer filled with greens, and bring to boil over high heat. Turn down heat if necessary so that water boils but doesn't evaporate. Cover and steam for about 8 minutes.
2. Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, tomatoes, and pepper and cook about 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Mix well. Reduce heat to low and add remaining oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
3. Mix lemon juice, flour, and 1/2 cup water in cup until well blended. Pour into onion mixture and mix well. Add remaining 1/2 cup water, cooked greens, salt and pepper to taste, and mix well. Increase heat to medium, cover, and cook for 3 minutes to heat through.
Serve the greens as a side dish with meat stew.